Sunday, May 25, 2008

Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer | Less Kick Than a Buffalo Rock, More Rock Than a Buffalo Kick

Bermuda is home to many things: the world's prettiest beaches, a thriving economic community, tacky shorts-and-socks combinations, and none other than Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer. I was lucky enough to travel there (and drink me some) my freshman year of college. I remembered this experience only after uncovering this colorful can at a service station in Little 5 Points, Atlanta.

I'd like to say that ginger beer is basically the same as ginger ale, but that would be an injustice. Ginger beer is, across the board, more strongly flavored with ginger, less carbonated, and sweetened to a far lesser degree. Jamaica has some cool g.b. brands, but Barritt's has less cayenne than most of those. Really, if it was any easier to find, I'd drink it over Schweppes or Vernors any day of the week. But as many of my close friends will tell you, Buffalo Rock* beats them all.
(*more on this at a later time)

If you're ever in Bermuda (or, evidently, many parts of Australia), you might find folks drinking a mixed cocktail called a Dark 'N' Stormy. This is comprised of ginger beer and black rum over ice with a lime wedge. I never got to enjoy one since I was eighteen at the time-- and you shouldn't either, kids!

Go no further than the the Barritt's company website to read some history and find a link to their overseas availability.

No comments: